Don’t Give Up Your Weight Management Routine Just Because You’re On Vacation
You’ve worked all winter long, and you’ve planned the perfect trip for summer. The summer is quickly approaching – 3 months away and you have been working like crazy in the gym to tone and tighten everything that started to jiggle again after last year’s summer vacation.
You’re detoxing with the TLC Iaso Tea and everything is starting to come together as you monitor your progress daily…looking in the mirror at every angle. Yes, those squats have your butt looking tight and round.
You’ve created the perfect travel itinerary for a jam-packed and memorable trip. You’ve purchased your ultra glam FlightsInStilettos travel accessories and the perfect party dresses, stilettos, swimsuits, cover-ups and hair extensions.
Yes, it’s all coming together, you’ve even made sure all of your work will be covered in the office and even completed for you so that when you come back your desk is clear and you can sneak in moments with yourself to think about all the fun you’ve just had on your trip.
You’ve put so much work into your body and you’re looking great for vacation! It’s time to go.
If you’re anything like the average person, as soon as you land all of your weight management efforts all of a sudden take a back seat. The super sugar filled cocktail that they push in your face after you land is irresistible. And this is where it all begins.
It’s possible to maintain your tightening and toning while on vacation. There’s no reason you’d have to sacrifice a flat tummy for five days of fun.
Here are my top 5 tips for maintaining your weight while on vacation:
1. Limit your alcohol consumption. Sometimes when on vacation we start drinking cocktails in the morning, all while at the pool and then several rounds for dinner. Instead, opt to drink a variety of fruit infused water during the day and save the cocktails for the evening, and limit the amount of alcohol that you consume.
2. Add gym time to your itinerary. Trust me, it’s very easy to schedule 30 minutes of “me time” while on vacation to work out. I’m not suggesting anything overly exhausting, but a 30-minute brisk walk on the treadmill followed by some light weight training for toning can do wonders for both your mental health and physical well-being.
3. Resist the buffet. I get it, buffets are cheap and offer a wide variety of options to include dessert. The temptation is overwhelming. One crab leg turns into 10, and those cheese grits you normally don’t eat look so much better when on vacation. If you must do the buffet, limit the urge to test the “all you can eat” limit. I know you want to get your money’s worth so you think it’s only fair to sit and eat for the full 2 hours you paid for. NOT!!!! I’d go for a balanced plated meal and leave the buffet for the kids!
4. Make your travel companion your accountability partner. Sometimes if we have someone that’s in our corner cheering us on and trying to help us stay focused, it’s easier to stay the course. Have that crucial conversation with your travel companion and let them know that you plan to have a great time and that you also have a goal and plan to stay active and healthy while on vacation. Ask for their support, you’re likely to get it.
5. Relax and rejuvenate. Don’t obsess over not gaining weight while on vacation or become an annoying calorie counter or vacation gym rat. You are after all on vacation. All that’s necessary is being mindful of your choices and all of the efforts you put into your weight management routine to get where you are now. It’s worth it for the kick-ass pics that you plan to post on Instagram!